Friday 1 February 2008

January's Newsletter

Hello friends,
At the beginning of this new year I trust that you are all setting out on different adventures – some to be enjoyed, others to be endured! Well, January for me has certainly been a challenge to keep going. I came back from a lovely time in UK at Christmas and New year, really enjoying spending great times with family and particularly enjoying some special times with Grandma. Also managed to get up to normal shenanigans with friends! All of which made coming back all the harder.


So with determination and a renewed energy, I fully aimed to give it all again, with hope in a loving Saviour, Jesus, who gives hope to all.


When I did get back, I found that I had had a load of money stolen from my house. I was most upset at the mistrust of the people who I had trusted. People I had given to when they had been in need, people who I saw and still see daily, people who I considered friends. I was so upset and mad that I have come to help, and have ended up cheated instead. God saw and knows and although we have not been able to find out who it was, I have in the meantime learnt a lot about acting with integrity and forgiveness, assured of the Lord's justice. The thief also took my return to UK flight ticket, which was probably a good thing otherwise I may have not even unpacked my bags and may have just jumped on a plane back home again!
I moved on my putting my head back down to work with my eyes fixed on Jesus' love for the kids. “Beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News.” And it has been such a joy to see those twinkling eyes and little feet of my treasures again.


Welcomed with open arms, the kids at SOS jumped, hopped, limped and rolled their way over to me as I entered the gates. Initially not being sure if they had missed me or Bertie the Landrover, their visiting climbing frame, more!
I have been doing a lot more work with my 2 assistants Abu and Mina, who each do 1 day a week with me. Trying to train them as we go along always creates more prep, thinking and effort, but I hope as they assist my work more and more, and I put them in positions of trying new skills out, they will gain in confidence and knowledge.
This is Abu treating Minkalu a young lad with Cerebral Palsy. He loves our visits and is doing really well at strengthening his hip stability and trunk control. His aim is to be able to walk on his own (even if with a frame) so that he can attend school. You would never have known that when he had been younger, his disparate mum, Fatu, had had taken him to a 'traditional healer' for him to be 'cleansed'. When this man told Fatu that he would take Minkalu 'back to where he came from', she ran as far as she could. She'd seen other children like this turned into cobra's in these kind of rituals. Hard to believe I know, but I'm afraid it really does happen here. Minkalu was saved from this, and now has a good chance of getting to school.

So many of all my kids are doing so well, Musu at SOS has put on more weight, as has Ola – that bucket seat still working well at feeding times. Joseph, Mohammed and Ishmael have new foot splints thanks to some joint working with MercyShips NewSteps. I saw Mariama this week too, the baby with severe malnourishment and dehydration that I drove through the mountains with last Oct to take to a hospital late one night. I couldn't believe the change. Chubby legs, a lovely rounded belly and the cutest cheeks. Thank God for this turning around. I thought this baby, then just a bag of bones not even opening her eyes, would die in my car on the way, but a new breath life has been a blessing to her and a joy to all the family.
Let me introduce you to another new friend. I met Alhaji and his mum at the beginning of December when they had been referred to me from Mercy Ships. He also has severe Cerebral Palsy, and a special personality like no other. Working on his sitting balance, a plastic kettle full of sand makes a great stabiliser! I'm working on a special chair for him, so soon he should be able to sit at the same level as his peers and family for play and eating.

So yes the work has continued well, but I have found it a bit of a struggle if I'm honest. The renewed energy from God and continuing vision and passion have been enough to keep me going. However, I've felt quite lonely and as if I'm fighting this huge battle on my own. I know I'm not, but we all have emotions right? I just wish my own would settle down a bit! I've also been saddened at the news that my Grandma is really unwell in hospital. I've felt far from my family at a time I just want to be close. It's hard not to just give up, but I know these trials are all temporary, and that perseverance leads to character, which leads to maturity in Christ.

I'd love your prayers for:
- Peace, perseverance, patience and protection
- My Grandma
- Training of Abu and Mina – I'm finding this real hard work on top of other responsibilities
- Secure friendships
- Future partnerships with people to support this work further
- And especially for Amara, the boy who broke his back, who had been doing really well using his wheelchair on the ramps we had made. He has recently really deteriorated with a chest infection and pressure sores. Pray for hope and healing for him.

Thank you all for being such wonderful friends, support I can always depend on. With Love Vez

No comments: