Saturday 1 March 2008

February's NewsLetter


Well the sun is certainly shining on us here in Sierra Leone. The temperatures are rising and it will only get hotter next month. February has been a great month for both me and the families I'm working with here.



I've been doing a lot of home visits and still the children are a challenge and a joy. Many have received wonderful postural support systems thanks to my wonderful carpenters; Allusan and Peter. Allusan in particular has been getting weekly visits and I'm not sure if he looks at me in despair or excitement as I arrive waving yet another new design of something he has never seen anything like before – supportive chairs, standing frames, corner seats, tables, walkers. However the kids have benefited from being well positioned in a way that will prevent further problems and allows them to be more orientated with what is going on around them – whether mama pounding rice, papa pulling in the fishing nets or other kids in an orphanage.
Micheal, Ola, Alhaji, Zainab, Medo and Mariatu all want to say thank you to the people who have contributed financially to their new chairs and frames.


Amara, is doing a little better now too and his pressure sores have started to heal slowly. Next week I hope he will be back in his wheelchair. My biggest frustration with him has been his family not taking good responsibility for his condition. I am learning the fine line between doing too much to help a family, and allowing them to take more control themselves. I've found the more I do, the less the family do and more they expect me to do. It's hard though as I know for example that I would think it priority to get my child antibiotics if they had a chest infection, but Amara's family failed to fight for that, and I say fight because it is never that straight forward here to see a doctor and get the right medication prescribed. However to sit and watch a sick kid from the side lines can be really difficult.


Both Abu and Mina, my assistants, are working hard and have started to show more ability at tackling the problem solving situations we find ourselves in daily. One thing that has made me smile is that in my books they have both gone up a level purely because they have both got dirty by sitting down on the dust floors – totally not a 'done' thing as a respectable adult, but essential when working with kids!!
Here Abu is treating Alfred Junior who has Erb's Palsy a condition leaving his arm very floppy and uncontrolled. He suffered a lot when while crawling he got a nasty wound on his hand where he had been dragging it. Finally he is on his feet walking now and learning well how to involve his floppy hand in different activities.
Mina too is more active in treatment sessions and it's nice that the families are now looking to Mina and Abu for advice – even if they have to turn to me to get more guidance on what they are about to say. Knowing your limitations is as important as being confident in what you do know. These families have been fed so many lies by people who do not know any better, that it is so important to now be giving them hope albeit realistically.


Well a few funny experiences of this month need to be told just to make you giggle a bit..... I got a birthday kiss from a goat (you need to read my blog to find out more).
I happily watched a stubborn cow with huge strong horns refusing to stand up to the frustration of the 3 other cows it was tied to and the people trying to walk them through a bustling African market. But soon had an adrenaline rush when finally it did get up.... totally mad it kicked, bucked and started charging. I was sure glad that I was not the one holding the rope he was tied to. The people screamed and fled and I sat in my car wondering do I put my foot down on the accelerator or try to hide hoping they wouldn't turn the car over!!! So, looking at the fear of the guy who had the rope who was by this point frantically waving at me, I decided to put my foot down!
I kindly tried to give a lift to a child and his Dad to the Epilepsy centre on Monday. Hearing a retching noise I past them the duster thinking, ok that's the 3rd kid who has thrown up in my car, is it my driving or the bad roads? Only to find out that it wasn't just a little bit of sick – but that vomit was all over the back of my car. NICE!


Still, I had a wonderful day off on my birthday and enjoyed some rest and peace and stillness. At the weekend I celebrated with friends at a dam which we managed to get special permission to visit. It was like walking into the Lake District - beautiful, wild and a great time out moment. We also wondered in the jungle close by hoping not to come across too many beasty's, we did see a snake though. Later we went to the beach for sunset and lobster!! What an awesome day!


Thank you to those who have been keeping my Grandma and family in your prayers recently. Grandma has really improved and has even returned to her house. Please continue to pray for her though as she is needing much care and support. Also pray too for my family juggling this situation.


And a few more prayer requests:
- Thank God for good friends, good health and good opportunities to really get alongside these
children and their families.
- REST – I'm getting tired and am still trying to manage new patients every week.
- I'd really like someone to share this work with.
- Training of Abu and Mina – We are starting some more formal teaching sessions next month.
- Wisdom in managing everything from new referrals, treatment, finances, networking with other NGO's, training and trying to stay calm all at the same time.
- Good support from friends here, for fun, prayer and company.
- Continued safety and protection, particularly with the challenging driving as I travel around different areas on some very bad roads.



“For the joy of the Lord is your strength” Nehemiah 8:10



THANKS, With Love Vez

No comments: