Thursday 13 September 2007

SUCH A BEAUIFUL DAY! For OLA, for ME and for his new FAMILY!

I don't even know where to start.



Ola has a new home!



Praise God with us for ALL the glory goes straight to HIM. It has all happened so quickly, unheard of in Africa where nothing is simple or straightforward. But after a few meetings and talks with Hospital management and Ministry of Social Welfare, and I'm so happy to say that today Ola went to his new home in Wellington, an area on the east side of Freetown.


As I approached Ola's hospital cot for the last time, his smile beamed as I picked him up for a cuddle and whispered in his ear 'I promised you we'd get you out of here into a loving home, and today is the day.' After goodbyes to a few faithful ones who had been washing his clothes and trying to feed him, we left the hospital. Even the breeze and the sun on his face seemed such a strange sensation to him. I held him tight in my lap as the car left the compound and still Ola was smiling. His big eyes were wide with wonder and delight. New sights and sounds flashed across the window, and as this unexplored world opened up to Ola for the first time. It was such a privilege to be witness to something so precious, I'll never forget that moment.



As Pastor Hassan drove up the hillside where the 4HIM orphanage is, the road got worse, but Ola got more and more excited about the bumpy ride he was getting! Pastor Hassan runs the 4HIM Ministry here in SL and has been amazing at making this all happen so smoothly. Thank God for him and his family and their faithfulness to caring for these children.
We entered Ola's new home to colourful signs made by his new brothers and sisters, and were welcomed with a special welcome song from the approx 50 kids in the home already, and of course the drums were beating and Ola was loving it!!



I tried to give some simple advice on caring for him to his new 'mum' (or grandmum as they said because of course I'm really the mum!) and a few of the older girls who will be caring for him. His new bed is in the girls dorm and having not been able to get any useful info from the children's ward about what his sleeping pattern was like I hope they all get some rest!



After meeting all these new people, the celebration, having a good bath, clean clothes, a sloppy meal of 'pap' and some heartfelt prayers, Ola was probably totally exhausted and overwhelmed with such attention. I trust his life into the Lord's hands and know that all is well with him as I sleep peacefully totally exhausted myself too!



Please keep praying for Ola to settle well to his new home of love and security, for Ola's new mum - Isatu, for Pst Hassan and family, for all the other kids in the home. And especially for Ola's feeding, he does not have a very good swallow and it is the one aspect of his care I'm most worried about. It is so important he gets enough nutrition, but also that the food does not go down onto his lungs causing an infection.



I'll be going back on Monday to see how they are getting on.



As my friend Stefanie who was with me today said “It was the most beautiful day for so many reasons.”

No comments: