Friday 28 September 2007

SOS Children

I work at an NGO called SOS Childrens Home for the Physically Challenged on Thursdays. They are normally long days and full of fun and kids!



Every child in the home has a disability of some description - either a deformity they were born with like club foot or Cererbral Palsy, or have amputated limbs, or Polio.
I'm working my way through assessing them all, in order to set them up with an programe to improve on their level of functioning and independance. Some are needing new prosthetics or orthotics / callipers, so for them I'm liasing with other NGO's such as my old collegues at MercyShips New Steps, or another NGO called Handicap International. It is good to link and network with other organisations so as not to repeat work, but instead to fill the gaps.



Happy shouts for "Auntie Kadiatu" (my Sierra Leone name coz Verity or Vez is too hard) can be heard from the moment I arrive to the moment I leave.

Although exhausted I love to leave to the little waving hands and big smiles, knowing it will all start again the week after.




No comments: