Saturday 13 September 2008

Vez's Adventures in SL Sept 08

Hello again,

So I thought it was about time that I updated you all now I've been settled back in SL after my time in the UK. First let me say that despite staying in a different bed every few nights, what a wonderful time I had seeing so many of you. A huge thank you to all that let me stay, fed me, washed my clothes and generally welcomed me. I was refreshed, encouraged and raring to get back to my children in SL.

Since being back, I took the first week to meet with Abu (my assistant) and go over what he had been up to while I had been away. He has done an amazing job visiting all our families, keeping treatment going, referring sick ones and encouraging parents. I have to say though, that since visiting them all again myself – the children have taken such a liking to him that they don't want to come and give me cuddles any more – I guess my novelty has worn off! One thing did make me laugh though, I had given Abu a diary to document everything he had been doing and spending, but when he gave it back to me blank and I asked why – he said he didn't know how to use it and blamed me for not showing him! I guess it was just one of my presumptions that he already knew, as we learn, even at school, how to manage a diary. Another lesson learnt on my part about cultural differences!!

However, Abu continues to impress me, and although he has a way to go in practising therapy independently, I do hope that by the end of this year he'll be in a position to make many more decisions himself with the view of taking over the management of this work. We have spent much time together discussing our visions for this next year ahead, and we are hoping to expand with another international therapist, and therefore train another national as well. There are certainly enough patients. This is in God's hands now and since we have advertised, it is just a waiting game to see who replies. Please do pray with us for the right person, and contact me if you know of someone.

Just before I left for my leave, work seemed to be getting more and more crazy just with tying loose ends and seeing setting up equipment that had been made. But our grand finale was certainly a success...we held a Beach Gathering and invited all our families. We think nearly 90 people came and enjoyed splashing in the water, digging holes in the sand and eating fruit and drinks. For me, I was so pleased to be watching many of my patients see that there are other children like them and for the parents to be talking and encouraging each other too. Everyone was smiling and enjoyed themselves. And God was gracious in holding off the rains till we were done and making sure there was enough food for everyone right to the last latecomer. See my blog for more pictures.

So my time at home was busy seeing people and travelling around, but I also managed to do some study, arrange for my Landrover tyres to head to Africa thanks to MercyShips, updated my jabs, find a few bits of equipment, buy other car parts (which weighed a ton and loaded down my luggage allowance and caused a stir at security checks at the airport – again see my blog for more laughs!), and do many a presentation. I have also managed to get some help with business planning and financial advice – I still hate numbers, especially anything to do with money. I would never have thought I'd end up doing this, but it is all part of progressing this ministry along to be more sustainable. Now we are trying to think about partnering or independently setting up a charity. This is another huge step to be considering, I truly believe God paved the way and is abundantly blessing the work, but I do feel a little out of depth at times, and I need His guidance on how and who and when.

In the last 2 weeks, I have had a friend visiting and we have had a great time. Cathy was a little shell shocked at the beginning and it made me realise how much has become normal for me out here. We spent much time talking and praying about what we are among daily – injustice, poverty, corruption and sadness. Why are children suffering so much? Yes I try to do my bit, but there is so much to do. I know that God is a God of justice and of hope, and a large part of my role is to show these families some of that hope. Unfortunately humans will continue to be so nasty to one another and this world will continue to be full of bad until the end. I have many questions that I will one day ask the Lord, but for now I just have to be obedient to what I feel I can do. When I was first thinking about working longer term in Africa, God reminded me of a time I was in a little Kenyan village church with some hungry, dirty and largely forgotten children. God had opened my eyes to a need that I could not turn away from. Since that time my eyes have not turned from trying to give children a hope, a love and a future they may not have known otherwise. Cathy and I saw my favourite PodaPoda (a form of overcrowded public transport) which carries the slogan 'STOP FOR THE ONE'. Now if we all did that, reached out to one person in need, stopped for a moment and helped, wouldn't the world be a better place? For me, at this time, to put the needs of one family first, to do what I can for the one disabled child to make life a little brighter, then that is what is required of us, not to be overwhelmed with the bigger picture – leave that job for the bigger Man. Just STOP FOR THE ONE.
For some reason this first month has been a hard one of settling back into life here again. Maybe partly because I had such a wonderful time at home, but I think it is also being a rough time of bad happenings for what ever reason. I'm desperately in need of my tyres, so for now I keep getting flats which always slows things down! I've also been getting a lot of hassle from the Police. I can normally talk my way out of the situations, but every time it shakes me up and puts me on edge. Having done nothing wrong I hate it when I get stopped. One time it happened because it appeared I had done something wrong, my registration sticker in my car window was out of date, but even that was not my fault – it turns out when I registered the car the wrong date was printed to try and cheat me out of 4 months registration fee. So now I've tried to change it and again I've been cheated by the sticker being back dated another 3 months. Fighting to get anything done fairly here is exhausting. And to top that I blew the power pack to my computer in the process of writing this very letter. What more could go wrong? Thankfully after many a tear, a friend who experienced the same problem had a spare adjustable power lead so I'm now using that until I can get one from the UK. Thank God for friends!
So if you are a pray-er please remember the following in your prayers:

“ Thanks for a wonderful rest and productive time in the UK
“ Thanks for the many faithful supporters of this ministry in so many ways & may it continue
“ For safe arrival and a good settling back into SL – including a wonderful new home
“ For Protection against all the difficult happenings at the moment
“ For wisdom and guidance in planning for the future for this work
“ For the right therapist to see the adverts and apply to come and join the team out here in SL
“ For the children we work with daily to know a hope, a love and a future they may not have known otherwise by seeing and experiencing Jesus in the way we work.


Indeed it is good when you obey the royal law as found in the scriptures:
“Love your neighbour as yourself.” James 2:8


With Love, Vez

No comments: