Tuesday 30 September 2008

The story continues....

So I went to see the family (the one who missed twice the arranged transport to New Steps rehab centre for new wheelchair -see previous blog admission) on Monday only to find a very sad situation.

The Grani who is responsible for the boy, Amara, had conveniently gone to market, so we could not talk with her, but we spoke instead with another 'auntie' (anyone vaguely related/family friend).

Amara was in a state.

He had huge wounds on his knees, one being the size of hie knee cap, open, red and very swollen and inflamed. His tummy was all swollen, maybe from a bladder problem or urine infection. And these problems had then caused a secondary problem of his tone (muscle stiffness) going right up meaning that his legs were all folded, unable to straighten not to mention extremely painful.

It was only 2 weeks ago that I saw him and when asking what happened, I was just told lies about what and how long the wounds had been there. They were just telling me what they thought I wanted to hear and this is never helpful when a big part of medical decisions have to be made on the history. And do you think the family had done anything to help Amara - like take him to a doctor?? I'll let you come to you're own conclusions.

I sat there quiet for a while, not really knowing what to do. I was so sad for Amara. Why had his own family not done anything to help him? How could so many people come and go past him and not do anything?

I decided to take him to the Doctor myself, although I didn't want them to know that a 'whiteman' was helping them out, as the prices were then doubled at least.
However, I then found out that the closest government satellite clinic was closed - and had been for 4 months - refurbishments they say. So the next closest place was a private clinic.

Abu went and found out an estimate of how much would be needed for at least a review and antibiotics. We left them with a referral and the equivalent of 12 pounds and had to put some trust in the 'normal' systems of this country. I am not a doctor and cannot and do not want to act like I am. A doctor needed to see him and make their own decisions.

Unfortunately from 2 other experiences in sending Amara to the see a doctor, sadly the decisions made and the comments were totally inappropriate and the right treatment was not given. So I prayed and had to hope for a better result this time.

Later that day, I had a phone call from a neighbour of Amara's. They had returned from the clinic with nothing but a referral saying he had serious problems and needed to go to the government Children's Hospital further in town. He had been charged approx 5 pounds which was fairly reasonable for seeing a Dr, but I was a little frustrated that not even the simplest pain relief or antibiotics were given for the obviously infected knee wounds.

So off he went the next day to the Children's hospital, who charged him a further 6 pounds for doctors review (even though he had been referred there), and the final outcome from there was - oh yes very serious problems, come back tomorrow and we'll admit you.

One question I have is: Why if he was so unwell would they not admit today?

But actually it was a saving grace because I did not really want him admitted there as I have know from other experiences how expensive it can be there - you get charged for admission clerking, for the overnight stays, for the nurses to administer drugs, for the drugs themselves, for the notebook that the doctors write in at the end of the bad, for discharge...the list goes on.

So Amara is back home again, still having had no treatment.
But now I'm wondering, what do I do next?

Having discussed with a Doctor friend of mine at Mercy Ships, I decided the best thing to do was to see if I could get him reviewed by doctors at an excellent NGO (Non-Governmental Organisation) hospital. The treatment there is free and they are able to do most necessary lab tests, investigations and xrays. There are a few little hurdles to this:

1. I will have to call the admissions team and persuade them to see him
2. Then get him there. The NGO hospital is located right on the other side of Freetown and out further still. Probably in the region of 1 + 1/2 to 2 hour journey for Amara, on public transport, on bad roads, unwell and in pain.
3. Tomorrow is a public holiday, a pray day for the end of the Muslim Ramadan. Amara's family are Muslim, they are likely to want to wait till the next day.

Somehow, I hope this works out for Amara's good.

I will be calling the NGO hospital first thing in the morning, then we'll see.............

1 comment:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal