Friday 26 September 2008

Frustrating families

Sometimes it can be so frustrating here...
I try to do my best, but nearly always people want more.

I have one patient who I have tried to get to the Mercy Ships Rehab Centre, New Steps, to get a new wheelchair so he can attend school again (having had a year out since he broke his back and became paralysed after he damaged his spinal cord), twice he has not been in said place at said time and missed the transport I arranged for him. Having seen him at least fortnightly since his accident, he has done so well to learn to sit and to function in life again, managing spasms, chest infections, pressure sores...you name it, we've built ramps and looked at access to school, we've talked together and cried together and prayed together.

So why now do his family not see it as a priority to get this wheelchair when his old one is totally broken and not usable?
Why do I waste so much time and mobile phone credit and put my reputation on the line, when they just don't bother to show up?

AARRGGHHH!

I'm heading back to them again next week to find out what happened, but know I'll likely get an unsatisfactory answer.

How much help is too much help?

The more I do, the less they do.

Who suffers if I pull out because the family do not comply?

Should I take them there myself in person?
But then I set a standard that I have to take all patients to all appointments, taking away their responsibility in their child's life. Besides I'd never get any work done, I'd be a taxi driver.

Ow fo du? as they say here - now what shall I do?

1 comment:

SalfordScally said...

That's a really difficult one - not sure what the answer is - cos like you said, if you do it for this kid, you'll be expected to do it for others. Is there anyone else you can send to meet the family and get the kid to the appointment.

Keep going Vez, you really are making a difference, even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Am very proud of you.