Monday 8 October 2007

Only in Africa....

I keep meaning to start my Only in Africa list and never get round to it, so I'll start with a few funnies now.

Only in Africa would you.......

With-hold from getting on a particuar PodaPoda (public transport) because you see the passenger in front of you get on with a monkey.

Sit on a PodaPoda, to find you neighbour holding a chicken on her lap...but not just that, but that the chicken is in the process of laying an egg! The owner kept turning the chicken upside down to blow on her bum to try and delay the process, fragile eggs on bumpy roads, journey lasting a good 45mins and very squashed with other passengers, the egg is better kept in the chicken than out!

Have to laugh to yourself as you walk up a mountain, through half built houses and tiptoe round huge rocks to get to a patients home.

Carry a bucket cut in half (styled into a supportive feeding seat for a patient) across a city on public transport, getting more strange looks and shouts than I normally do.

Not go anywhere without tucking a bit of toilet paper into your knickers - just in case.

Not be ashamed to have sweat dripping down your face, neck, body, legs. It's totally normal!

Be able to walk down a street, suck on an orange and spit the pips out and not have anyone bat an eyelid. In fact i think I got less attention then, than I do when I'm walking trying to keep my head low.

Carry your phone charger to biblestudy then ask when you get there if you can charge your phone as you haven't had electricity for a week in your own house!

Feel proud when you manage to cook a whole meal by candle light.

Dine by candlelight as a norm, not a romantic mood setting.

Watch kittens play for half an hour as a replacement for a wind down after work TV show 'Neighbours'

As I've confessed before, ...go on imaginary trips to favourite places at home in UK when I'm missing home.


I'm sure to be adding more...watch this space.

No comments: