Wednesday 1 August 2007

July 2007 Newsletter From Verity – Adventures in Sierra Leone

Hello all,
So I thought it was about time I filled you in on how I've been getting on.
I've been settling down well and can't believe I've already been here a month. Emma, the physio student, I had here for 3 weeks was a real blessing. It was great to have someone to chat with and travelling across the city to new places and meeting new people is always less threatening when there are 2 of you.
My new home is working out well. Not sure if I did something wrong though – a few weeks into arriving here, one house mate went back to USA for a holiday, another travelled to Liberia, another is leaving for good this week, and Emma left last week!! But I'm finding it a peaceful place to be. A place that I'm using for a work base, a place to see friends and catch up and a place to lay my head for rest and sleep. I've set up my hammock (thanks Trish) and made my room my own with plenty of photos.
Amazingly we have had loads of NPA – the country's national electricity supply. It's because the elections are imminent. And because we collect our rain water as our main water supply, we can use as much water as we like for now. It's raining so hard, somedays all day. I've been getting very wet. And it's cold!! (Comparatively of course, it's still warmer than in UK right now). I've had to go out and buy jeans and beg jumpers from people. I wake up cold at night and pile on the layers!!! No, I couldn't believe it either. That's what I get for assuming it's sweaty hot here all year round!!
As far as the work goes, I've had a great start. I'm so pleased that God has been literally taking me to the places where the most disabled kids are being hidden. I've visited a few different organisations and met so many people, and one by one these little treasures are coming to the surface. I'm being taken to the places these children are staying and get so excited when another one is found. It feels like I'm opening this huge treasure chest of these precious children. Of course I've seen some other kids too that i've needed to refer to other places, or have advised regarding Polio, bony probs, infections, amputees. But the ones I'm really after are the kids with severe developmental delay – caused by all sorts from problems at birth, or being tied up and abandoned, sometimes half buried, to being traffiked and abused, to being used in ceremonial rituals. It's a crazy and unfair world here, but in my eyes, these are children loved by God and so precious to me. Finding a way to encourage them in their homes whether that be with their own family close or distant, in orphanages or in 'foster' type families, it's a challenge but a very deserving one.
Let me tell you about Michael. He was born 10 years ago, and was left tied up in a ditch, probably because all 4 of his limbs were was severely disabled from birth. He eventually was taken to Henry's orphanage, who has 20 other children to look after too. Michael looks like a 7 year old, very thin and drawn, with a cough and was sat on the floor with his legs outstretched. They were not sure if his legs even were able to bend. He manages to feed himself and can make a few noises but nothing that makes much sense. Michael has an amazing smile. I have been working with another boy called Alimamy who is 14 and lives at the orphanage because he lost all his family when the rebels burnt down his house, although he escaped the flames he suffered severe burns as a result. I have been training Alimamy to help Michael with handling, positioning, encouraging function and play, and some stretches. To their surprise Michaels legs do bend when they are relaxed, and we are in the process of making a special chair to support him better in a position he can join in with what is going on around him. Alimamy is a great learner, he is being the gentle hands of care that Michael really needs to have a chance to develop new skills and join in more. They seem to have a special communication between them, and it is so encouraging to see them together. I hope and pray that each of the kids I see like this will have their own Alimamy in one way or another.
There is so much other work I've been involved in too. Emma and I have been working with the MercyShips Rehab Team to evaluate the design of wheelchairs used locally, which often don't last long due to the terrain. The work with the ladies who have suffered fistulas has been a little quiet as the rainy season means less screening and surgeries for now. We have also done some training for staff at a home for the physically disabled, which was very fun!! It was all going well until I made the director of the project, nicely dressed in her business suit, sit on a gym ball then reach so far that she fell off!! Not what should be done to the person you should be giving most respect to, let alone infront of all her staff!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, until she burst out laughing, then so did we and all the staff too. Thank God for a little giggle to ease a tense situation!
So for those who pray, I would love you to join me in praying for a few things:
~ The Governmental Elections on 11th August – this is so important, there is a lot of tension in the air and no one really knows what is going to happen. I've been trying to stay clear of the political demonstrations, but please pray for my and everyone's safety during this period. The majority want peace, but one or two little sparks is all it takes. SL needs a fair, wise and peace loving leader. There are 3 major parties competing.
~ For Michael and Alimamy, and Henrys' orphanage.
~ To find more of these little treasures and be able to make helpful changes to them and their carer's lives.
~ For continued good health, despite the cold, change of diet and exhaustion levels.
~ For my on-going situation with transport. Public transport is cheap, but very time consuming, exhausting and stressful. It took me 3 hours to get home one day last week, yesterday it was 2 ½ hours in the rain! Some places I need to go are not safe to do by public transport at the moment either because the roads are even worse than normal due to the rains. I'm still thinking about getting a car, but working out the practicalities and finances are another thing.
~ For a continued knowledge of God's presence and grace in my life.
So that's all for now, hope you've enjoyed reading? Like I said, I'll be updating my blog more regularly with more day to day stories, so check it out. And I love to get emails from people to hear about ' normal' life stuff at home, just sorry if my contact is a little more sporadic due to lack of internet time.
Love to you all,
Vez

“ If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves are pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments: