Monday 27 August 2007

A HomeVisit like no other

So I last on my last home visit before I was to head for a Crio lesson.
I was tired from having walked all day from house to house, up and down a steep hillside in a community called Wellington.

We arrived at a house to see Emmanuel – a 2 year old with Cerebral Palsy affecting both his legs. This was my second visit to him and as soon as we entered the house, some bizarre noises could be heard from behind the curtain separating the 2 rooms of this small 'pan body' – (house made out of corrugated iron sheets). I couldn't quite work out what the groaning noises were, and after a few words were shared between my assistant Umaru and Emmanuel's mother, Umaru promptly declared that we had to leave. I hesitated as the mother was wanting her son treated since we had made the effort to come. However Umaru insisted, and said we'd come back later; so we left.

When I asked what was going on – he informed me that there was someone giving birth just behind the curtain that was flapping in the wind just 2 meters away from us!! And he as a male should be no where near those kind of events! Infact no-one in the neighbourhood is meant to know that the labour was happening, not until the baby has been born – we probably do not want to know how they keep the women from crying out loud enough for all to hear.

When Umaru said we'd come back later I thought he meant later that day, but I was informed by Umaru that “later here means anything from later that day to anytime in the next week or so.”

I had to have a little chuckle as we walked away, I was in total shock, would never happen in UK like that hey??

Next week I hope to see the new born baby and find out what all the commotion was about!

No comments: