Monday 16 July 2007

Rain, Rain, Rain!!


Settling well. Enjoying the challenge of some things, but feeling very at home with others. Emma (a lovely physio student with me for 3 weeks) and I are really getting to grips with stuff – life, work, old contacts, and making new friends living near my new house. It's good to know the people living / selling near by, you never know when you will need their help or protection. We're finding the kids, but being slowed by the rains, the bad road conditions because of the rains, and the underlying tension of the political campaigns.


We did some training for a local disabled childrens home and school last week. It was all going wonderfully well until I made the Director of the project sit on a gym ball then reach so far that she fell off onto the floor! Certainly not the sort of thing you are meant to do to the person in a smart skirt suit, and the one person you should show most respect. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, then looked at all her staff and they looked just as caught in the dilemma. Then Auntie Mammie burst out in laughter, and we all roared away for a while!! Second time I got Emma to stabilize the ball so there was no chance of a re-play of this disaster! Nothing like a little example of safety – what not to do on a gym ball!!


It's pleasantly cooler here than expected, a little caught out as didnt bring any warm clothes, or my umbrella (having looked at it while packing thinking I wont need that!) It's really very wet here, when it rains it rains! And the heavens are opening a fair few times a day. Old climbing skills came into action when tried to straddle between a wall and some rocks rather than wade through water ankle deep, had I known that just around the corner there were no wall and rocks and infact to wade on through was the only option, i'd have just enjoyed the foot wash. However we provided a little entertainment for the onlookers – it's always good to make someone smile.


My room is becoming 'vezified' with pictures and cards from home. Altough I've got this horrid feeling that things are going to go mouldy quickly as it's so damp all thet ime and not really drying out.


Been exploring the food markets – okra, fish, aubergene, avacado's are the 'in' things at the moment, getting bog standard potatoes has been a little harder. Being creative with resource I'm sure will be fine tuned after a while – but for now Emma is having to endure my concoctions!!


So thats all for now, but do email me some time, it's always good to hear news from home!



Vez and Emma

1 comment:

SalfordScally said...

Hey Vez, your blog is an ace idea! Just thought i'd drop by and send you a virtual hug. Am all excited cos Jill and I found my bridesmaid dresses last saturday!
Claire :-)