Friday 7 November 2008

November's News

Dear faithful supporters,

“I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love, neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, not even the powers of hell, neither height nor depth or anything else in all creation can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8 : 38

It's a good job that we can have so much hope in the fact that God's love never fails us. The last month has been one of ups and downs as usual, but what remains constant is our faith in Christ Jesus.

Just as I was settling into the normal routine of home visits to our long standing friends, and meeting new families as they get referred to us or found, I had a quick visit back to the UK for a wedding of a good friend. So let me tell you about home quickly first.
The wedding was great fun with lots of my sending church family (Bognor Vineyard) all rolling their sleeves up and pitching in. We had a great day and Debie-Jo and Matt were glowing throughout. Besides that, I had some wonderful times with close friends and particularly loved being outside in the crisp autumn days. I was able to spend a bit more time with my new nephew Jack, and my family and I enjoyed an early Christmas celebration together!! It was funny again being around so many white people, but as usual the time whizzed by far too quickly and before I knew it I was heading back to SL.

As I reached back to SL, I immediately noticed the massive increase in temperature. After having frozen on the aeroplane, I stepped down the stairs and with every step the heat clung more to my skin and I've been hot ever since!! So the rains are finally 'don don' as they say here, and Abu and I are sweltering in the Landrover as we travel around seeing our families.
That said, one VERY exciting happening over the past few weeks is that my new tyres for the Landrover finally arrived from UK. I've been waiting for these tyres for a VERY long time, and we're now very happy to have them on the car. You'll love this... They were described as 'attractively aggressive, self cleaning tyres' – the first part you can have your own opinion on, but as for the self cleaning, I just don't see how that can work in Africa!! I'll be putting them to the test this week as we trek out across the mountains.
I had said in a previous newsletter that we had found a few patients who had 'disappeared' out to the villages. Well, treatment has continued with them successfully. This is Zainab (on the right) and her sister MK. Zainab has Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy, however is trying very hard to get on her feet to walk. We had made a walking frame for her in January, which she never got as she was taken to the village. So now we have tried to teach her to use it and it's too small. Frustrating, but we're working on getting another. Her sister however also loves our visits as she discovered that if she gets in the way enough, then she gets given a load of toys to play with on the other side of the room just to keep her quiet while we are working with Zainab. This however, always gets messy when it's time to go and we have to take them all away again!!
And this is Medo. An inquisitive boy with a more severe Cerebral Palsy. He had taken this chair that we had made with him to the village, and it even came back in one piece!! It needed a few adjustments as he had grown, but praise God he's doing well and more so that the family remain committed and loving.
I do however have some sad news to tell you as well. You may remember me talking of Alie Sesay. He was a baby with Downs Syndrome who we had made a corner seat for last year, then I lost touch with the family. Having looked high and low, then turning to prayer, they suddenly turned up again. For the past 6 months I have been very involved with them both in terms of Alie's treatment, micro enterprise to support the family and also ministering to them at home, then in to church. Well, sadly Alie died last week. We don't really know what from, but it was very sudden. Both Karusu and Adama were very upset and it has brought much strain on their relationship, that was not going that well before this happened anyway. I'm not sure Kadija, his 4 year old sister really understands, but for her too she has been staying with various relatives and can't really know where home is any more. Please pray for this family. They were an encouragement to me as they lovingly devoted themselves to Alie's care. It has been sad to see Alie taken away from them, but we all find comfort in knowing that Alie is now in Papa God's gentle hands.

Quick updates on a few other bits:

Amara has started treatment for his TB Spine. It actually worked out that he can do it at home, with the Grani going to the hospital once a week to get the meds, and a social worker over seeing. I'm amazed that it has worked out like this, but please pray that we see some improvement in his medical condition as he is still very poorly, not to mention low in mood.


Allusan, my carpenter, who was getting more and more frustrating, has actually not been very well. He had some kind of a breakdown and lost the ability to care for himself or his 2 sons. The community came around him to help out, and after a few visits his old self started coming back. What was amazing was that despite being a Muslim, he allowed me to pray with him, where previously he had refused me. We don't really know what led to this breakdown, life here can be so stressful at the best of times, but please pray for the light of Jesus to find a way to him so he can be freed of whatever is holding him down. I'm not sure yet whether he will be able to continue work with us. But I do hope so.



Having been advertising since the summer for someone qualified to come and join me with this work, at last the right person has come forward. She is called Sarah and she's a lovely Occupational Therapist, which will broaden the experience we can currently offer. We are in the process of working things out, but we hope she'll join me later in 2009. Watch this space.


The declining worldwide financial situation is affecting us here too. My UK pound used to be worth 5800Le just a few months ago, now it is down to 4700Le. That means for every UK pound I change I loose about 20p from what I used to get. That is how it affects me, but I'll let you come to your own conclusions about how that is affecting local people here.

Abu says a big hello to everyone out there too!!

So I won't give you any specific prayer points this month, but use all the above info to focus your thoughts. I'm well myself and intend on staying that way!! But please pray that I will continually depend on Father God for all things and that I will make time to stay close to Him daily.

Thank you for all your support, in all things


With Love, Vez

No comments: