Tuesday 6 October 2009

Abu's Story...

Written by Abu Bangura...

Once upon a time, I met with an international physiotherapist from England. We did not know each other, but our priority to visit the communities in Sierra Leone was to see disabled children for their treatment.

For the first time in my entire life so far, I never knew what it meant to be a physiotherapist. During the first 2 weeks visits I thought that Vez was a children's doctor. I was so admired by her getting down on dirty floors for a session with the children, I wanted to learn. I wouldn't have known about stretches or strengthening or development otherwise.

A few months later, I took interest in the job and started going down on the floor too, while assisting to motivate and facilitate positions of the children. Most of the children and families I interacted with where very pleased for our help and service.

One day Vez noticed that I had patience, encouragement and was committed to the job. She decided to train me as a Rehabilitation Assistant. I agreed to her dream as God have chosen me and called me to learn this job and work with these children.

I have now received a lot of training, about 2 and a half years, while taking internal exams. I normally (though not always! – Vez) score high marks both in the theory and practical.

However, I also had computer email training and diary planning so I can manage and plan more independently. I am now able to assess and treat children with disabilities, I try to explain the problem to the family and often talk and encourage them. I explain how to care for their child and have Jesus' love for their children. I can also design special chairs for those that need them, and I talk to our carpenter to make them. I am also responsible to make phone calls to our families to inform them of our visit or follow up if the child has been sick. This helps the families feel encouraged that we care.

We thank you for supporting this work which enables us to enable them.

No comments: