Wednesday 30 May 2007

Planning Visit 'Don Don'

Dear Friends,

Well, my initial planning visit is 'don don' as the locals would say. A month is up and I'm back in the UK for a bit.

I thank God for such a successful trip and am happy that my plans for work in Sierra Leone have totally come together. Although I'm still to see how some of that looks, I've got a home and some lovely house mates (one an American who has lived in SL for 17 years so has lots of 'know how'!), made good connections with people I can be useful with, got lots of work set up with kids homes and a few schools, and even a few babies who have been referred to me with developmental probs that I will start to see in their homes, and a new challenge to me, but one I've already started to enjoy are the women and young girls who have fistula's after complications during birth resulting in the death of the child and them being incontinent.
AND, I've got a crio (the local language) teacher, a close network of international and local friends, a much better idea of local transport, and even more amazingly MercyShips managed to sort out for free a residents permit and visa for me, both of which were going to cost me lots money and lots of hassle! So I'm now officially a Sierra Leonean resident!!


Isn't it awesome that God sorts out these things well and truly to get you right in there where He wants you!

Let me finish with a few little thoughts / challenges,
how many people do you think typically squeeze into a PodaPoda – a form of public transport used for people and objects like greens or jerry cans (see photos)?

How do you teach a bible study on Godly submission to authority (Romans 13)?



Why did I put myself through 3 hours of torture all in the name of beauty? Do you like my hair?


Which method of transport would you choose to get to the airport which is across a large stretch of water from the city......
1. old Russian helicopter at 125,000 Leones (£25) you hope all the important parts are still working because there certainly are not enough seat belts!
OR 2. rusty old ferry at 5,000 Leones (£1), first class that is, ignoring all the grounded and half sunk wrecks around you all the way along the route?
The choice is yours!!

Hope to catch up with a lot of you over the next month before I return back to my new home in SL.
My UK mobile no. should still work 07812572870, and I'm hoping my car does too! Just a few more weeks Lord – keep it going PLEASE!!!

Byeo as they say in crio,
Love Vez

No comments: